“American Daughters gave me the opportunity to speak out against issues and the power to use my voice the way it was meant to be used.”
Goal: Host the American Daughters Academy, a 4-week summer leadership program, starting in Summer 2019. The Academy will support female students from Kansas City-area high schools as they create a vision for their future, realize their capacity for leadership and change, and share their work with the local community.
In support of the establishment of the American Daughters Academy, the American Daughters Club was created at a local Kansas City high school in the Fall of 2017. The students met bi-monthly to tackle the unique successes and challenges young women face at home and school. Club activities during the 2017-2018 school year included the following:
· Explored the history of the feminist movement
· Examined the portrayal of women in the media through film studies
· Made zines with @neither_nor_zine_distro
· Discussed sexual wellness with a Kansas City gynecologist
· Learned about the importance of civil disobedience
· Discovered the art and history of henna with @hennabyhernandez
· Self-care workshop with @simplyaprilynn
We are excited to host the American Daughters Club at Crossroads Academy in KC starting fall 2018!
Join us for Intersectional Feminist Book Club – check our instagram for updates and information about the latest book we’re reading & discussing!
Previous Book Selections:
Disposable Domestics by Grace Chang
Electric Arches by Eve Ewing
Men Explains Things To Me by Rebecca Solnit